The Kingdom of Dege was an important kingdom in Kham from the 15th to the 19th century. It was a center of industry, religion and politics, with the seat of its kingdom in the town of Degé.The kings of Dege followed a 1300-year lineage. At its height, the population of the kingdom consisted of 12-15,000 families. The northern border of the kingdom was defined by Qinghai Lake; on the east, the boundary terminated at those states that utilized the Horpa variation of the Rgyalrongic languages, Chantui and Litang; the southern and western boundaries were defined by Batang, Sanai, Gonjo and Draya; and Lhato and Chamdo, respectively.
The kingdom was known for its metal working and was an important center in the establishment of the Rimé movement in Tibetan Buddhism.
The royal family of Dege were known as supporters of art, producing such artists as Situ Panchen, the kingdom’s senior court chaplain, who is also known for his contributions to medicine and religion. Regent Queen Tsewang Lhamo (d. 1812) was known for her support of printing and publishing.
Source: The Treasury of lives